Saturday, September 15, 2012

Lake Manyara National Park- Tanzania


Mambo!

To start off this post, I just want to tell you all how awesome everyone is in my SFS Kenya/Tanzania Wildlife Management group. It’s so nice to be a part of a program that includes people from all different backgrounds (both culturally and academically), different schools/places, and with different interests. I have never been a part a group filled with people so keen to learn and share knowledge with each other and willing to continuously interact with people one normally would not.  

I also have to mention the professors, crew and local people. They have been so welcoming, and it truly is a wonderful feeling to come to a completely foreign and new environment and have people be so kind. The children have been so much fun to interact with, and many of them are even showing me up with their language skills!

Today was our first trip into the field, and I felt like I was living out every child’s Lion King/African safari dream. I spent about five hours in Lake Manyara National Park with my SFS group driving around in the bushland, grassland and forest looking for all kinds of animals. I got to see blue monkeys, baboons, vervet monkeys, warthogs, zebras, giraffes, wildebeest, hippos, dik-diks, elephants, gazelles, cape buffalo and impalas (I’m also sure that I’m forgetting others). And just to make you totally jealous, my car had a very close encounter with a mother elephant and her baby as they were attempting to cross the road.





The plants in Lake Manyara National park and the surrounding region are extremely interesting as well. The park is filled with green vegetation as it is located near a significantly large water source, while the surrounding landscape is much drier and yellower in color. The contrast of the two landscapes was really cool to see as we drove from our SFS center in Rhotia to the park. In the park, I saw tons of Acacia trees (both umbrella and yellow-barked) and I also got to see a few baobab trees. I’m no expert in plants or animals (rocks are totally my thing), but I’m really excited to learn more about the ecosystems in this region.


Umbrella Acacia 


Now, Lake Manyara National Park is located in probably one of the coolest geologic areas in the world: the East African Rift Valley, and so of course I was excited to travel there for more than just the wildlife. While I didn’t get to see much in the way of fantastic rocks today, I did get to see a lot of volcanic material in various stages of weathering (rockàsoil). There was also some pretty beautiful schists or metamorphic rocks at the welcome center (used for the road and pathways). They were filled with micas and were totally sparkly, just like Edward is in the sunlight (this is a twilight reference for those confused at my lame humor). Lake Manyara itself is pretty geologically interesting, as it is a salt lake that often dries up seasonally to reveal large expanses of salt flats. I didn’t get to go close to the salt flats or the lake, but being able to see them from the cliffs surrounding the park was pretty incredible.

Tomorrow, we are going back to Lake Manyara National Park to study baboon behavior and physical characteristics and also to finish up some of our other class projects involving the park. I don’t think any of us were able to concentrate on schoolwork with 26 elephants passing by our car or hippos popping out of the water or monkeys fighting in the trees. I know I definitely was way more concerned about getting photos of absolutely EVERYTHING I saw. I’m a little sad that I’m fancy-spancy-cameraless, but I guess all the wildlife is just going to have to come close and pose for my silly point-and-shoot camera.

Kwaheri (for now)

No comments:

Post a Comment