Sunday, October 7, 2012

The wazungu watatu


Today was another non-scheduled program day, and we had the opportunity to go to three markets. We started the day in Karatu in the town market. Most of us students were hunting down gifts for family and friends. I went a little Maasai shuka crazy (family members brace yourself for glorious gifts). I also got a few pieces of jewelry after being bombarded with options from the local wandering salesmen. They always can sense when a mzungu (=white person, it’s not a bad or threatening term) is in town and you always have to be willing to bargain for long periods of time to avoid the mzungu or "tourist" price.
After Karatu, we moved on to the Maasai Market in Mto wa Mbo. At this point in the day, my bargaining skills were on point and I got a lot of really cool trinkets. Favorite purchase of the day: rhino earrings. They will be worn at all times when I get back to the states. Laura, Keela and I also found some hilarious mzungu shirts. Our drivers and the staff got a kick out of them and I promise to get pictures of the "wazungu watatu" (literally = three white people; we've taken it to mean the three mzungu musketeers) soon. After strolling around the Maasai Market for a bit, me and few others ate lunch at Pizza Point. I’m pretty lucky I have a high tolerance for spice because I’m pretty sure the pizza maker accidentally spilt a whole jar a chili pepper on my pizza. It was still freaking delicious.
After lunch, our group moved on the to the large once-every-so-often market outside Karatu. There were so many people around, and it was awesome to walk around and see all the cool things being sold. I could have bought a goat for less than 20 bucks, but I resisted. Totally regretting not buying one though; would have made an awesome SFS Tanzania camp pet. There was also a massive sea of tire shoes. Naturally since I already own two pairs, I had to buy another (but seriously, they’re the coolest shoes I own now). After this epic day of shopping, it’s probably safe to say I have absolutely no room left in my suitcases to bring anything else new home. It’s a good thing I’ll be donating some of my clothes, sheets, socks and textbooks in Kenya before I fly home.



 The market was packed with people.
 Audrey and her creepy (?) Obama Bag
 There were so many places to get cool cloth. It was so tempting.
The sea of tire shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment