Friday, November 30, 2012

The Water Crew

     Today was our last day of directed research fieldwork. It was a tiring eight days, but I had a tremendous amount of fun with my group (the water crew) slopping through the Noolturesh River or climbing through thick acacia shrubland. I managed to escape multiple almost falls, extra wide jumps over rivers, traverses and climbs of cliffs and of course a myriad of encounters with the horrendous Acacia melliferus (aka "wait-a-bits"). Despite puncturing my rainboots with an acacia thorn, falling into the river, falling straight into an acacia bush and witnessing just how far my skin stretches when stuck to a barbed acacia thorn, tripping on multiple rocks, somehow I am still alive. Tomorrow begins our data analysis period and after a couple of days we start our final paper writing. I have just about two weeks left here at KBC in Kenya (I cannot believe how fast this semester has flown by-my family is literally going to have to drag me back to the U.S.), and even though I have to spend a lot of it behind a computer, I know I am going to take every chance I get to explore my surroundings just a bit more.
                                      
View from a "hill" on our last day of field work.

What a good looking bunch of kids 
(from left to right)- Ed, Kylie, Haley, Laura, Me, Julia, Cam, Tally, D, and Kjersten

The Water Crew=the bomb diggity

The best group of guides we could have every asked for (from left to right)- Samuel ("Sammy"), Rana ("Ronny"), Dansan ("Danny"), Mwato ("Marry"), Wiper ("Franky"), and Ernest ("Ernie")

We gave all of our guides and Ernest (only the coolest staff member at KBC) "American" names. They seemed to thoroughly enjoy it.

Typical.


No comments:

Post a Comment